Skip to main content

Renamed Collection

Background imageRenamed Collection: Avro York C1 G-AGNN BOAC

Avro York C1 G-AGNN BOAC
A BOAC aircraft until sold to British South American Airways in 1947. Named Madras while at BOAC it was renamed Star Crest at BSa. It flew again with BOAC and then Skyways of London. Date: 1946

Background imageRenamed Collection: Tooting Bec Asylum, Surrey

Tooting Bec Asylum, Surrey
A woman pushes a pram at the entrance to the Tooting Bec Asylum at Tooting Graveney, erected in 1899-1903 by the Metropolitan Asylums Board

Background imageRenamed Collection: Asylum Lodge, Devizes, Wiltshire

Asylum Lodge, Devizes, Wiltshire
The entrance lodge to the County Lunatic Asylum at Devizes, Wiltshire opened in 1851. In 1924 it was renamed Wiltshire County Mental Hospital, then in 1948 renamed Roundway Hospital

Background imageRenamed Collection: Airship R38 built for the US Navy at Cardington

Airship R38 built for the US Navy at Cardington and renamed ZR2. Completed in 1921. It crashed over the Humber in August 1921 while on a test flight with a mixed British and American crew. Date: 1921

Background imageRenamed Collection: Barming Asylum, Maidstone, Kent

Barming Asylum, Maidstone, Kent
The main building of Barming Asylum located on Hermitage Lane, Barming Heath, Maidstone, Kent, opened in around 1833. Also known as the Kent County Lunatic Asylum, then renamed Oakwood Hospital

Background imageRenamed Collection: Goodwick Railway Station, Pembrokeshire, South Wales

Goodwick Railway Station, Pembrokeshire, South Wales
A long line of passengers and staff waiting on the platform at Goodwick Railway Station on the Great Western Railway, Pembrokeshire, Dyfed, South Wales. They are all looking across at the camera

Background imageRenamed Collection: HOOVER DAM

HOOVER DAM
At the time of its construction, the Boulder Dam (subsequently renamed the Hoover Dam) on the Colorado River, is the worlds largest

Background imageRenamed Collection: The Berkshire County Asylum, Moulsford, Wallingford

The Berkshire County Asylum, Moulsford, Wallingford
The Berkshire County Lunatic Asylum at Moulsford, near Wallingford. Later known as the Berkshire Mental Hospital, it was renamed Fairmile Hospital in 1948

Background imageRenamed Collection: Boeing Stratocruiser G-ANUC BOAC London Airport

Boeing Stratocruiser G-ANUC BOAC London Airport
Originally part of the United Airlines fleet servicing the Hawaii route, the Stratocruisers were sold to BOAC in 1954. This one was renamed Clio and became G-ANUC. Date: 1955

Background imageRenamed Collection: Hospital of Stirling District Asylum (Bellsdyke Hospital), L

Hospital of Stirling District Asylum (Bellsdyke Hospital), L
The Hospital section of Stirling District Asylum (later renamed Bellsdyke Hospital). Date: circa 1913

Background imageRenamed Collection: The Asylum, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire

The Asylum, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
The Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum, Abergavenny, opened in 1851, becoming the Monmouthshire Lunatic Asylum in 1897. It was known as the Monmouthshire Mental Hospital from 1916 to 1923

Background imageRenamed Collection: Inkerman Barracks, Woking, Surrey

Inkerman Barracks, Woking, Surrey
A view of the entrance to Inkerman Barracks, Woking, Surrey. The buildings were originally opened in 1860 as an invalid prison for convicts not fit enough to be sent to Dartmoor

Background imageRenamed Collection: Brighton County Borough Asylum, Haywards Heath, Sussex

Brighton County Borough Asylum, Haywards Heath, Sussex
Brighton County Borough Asylum at Haywards Heath opened in 1857 as the Sussex County Lunatic Asylum. It became the East Sussex Asylum in 1894 then from 1903-1914 was known as the Brighton County

Background imageRenamed Collection: SS Athenic, British passenger liner, White Star Line

SS Athenic, British passenger liner, White Star Line, later renamed SS Pelagos. Date: circa 1925

Background imageRenamed Collection: HMS Vindictive aircraft carrier, WW1

HMS Vindictive aircraft carrier, WW1
HMS Vindictive, a Hawkins-class heavy cruiser (then called HMS Cavendish) converted to an experimental aircraft carrier and renamed

Background imageRenamed Collection: Beagle A. 61 Terrier 2 G-ASAC

Beagle A. 61 Terrier 2 G-ASAC
Beagle A.61 Terrier 2 G-ASAC (msn B.606, ex WE587), of the Airways Aero Club. Auster converted a number of ex- Army aircraft which became the Auster 6B

Background imageRenamed Collection: Beagle A. 61 Terrier G-ASAC Airways Aero Club Rearsby

Beagle A. 61 Terrier G-ASAC Airways Aero Club Rearsby
Auster converted a number of ex- Army aircraft which became the Auster 6B. When the company became part of Beagle Aircraft in 1960 it was renamed the Beagle A.61 Terrier

Background imageRenamed Collection: Beaufort War Hospital, Fishponds, Bristol

Beaufort War Hospital, Fishponds, Bristol
Beaufort War Hospital at Blackberry Hill, Stapleton, Bristol - an area also known as Fishponds. The building was opened in 1861 as the Bristol Lunatic Asylum

Background imageRenamed Collection: Blisworth Hotel, Blisworth, Northamptonshire

Blisworth Hotel, Blisworth, Northamptonshire
Built in 1850 as a result of railway traffic, the Blisworth Hotel is seen here in 1906. While the station it served closed in 1960, the Hotel continues to thrive

Background imageRenamed Collection: Hoover Dam Colorado

Hoover Dam Colorado
The Boulder Dam - later renamed the Hoover Dam - of the Colorado River, Colorado, USA

Background imageRenamed Collection: Handley Page Clive III G-ABYX

Handley Page Clive III G-ABYX of Sir Alan Cobhams National Aviation Day flying circus. One of the Hinaidi I prototypes, J9126

Background imageRenamed Collection: Training Ship Arethusa

Training Ship Arethusa
Boys in naval uniform exercise on the training ship Arethusa, moored on the Thames at Greenhithe and run by the National Refuge for Homeless and Destitute Children

Background imageRenamed Collection: Music cover, Royal Irish Quadrilles, duets and solos

Music cover, Royal Irish Quadrilles, duets and solos, containing popular Irish melodies, arranged for the piano by Stephen Glover

Background imageRenamed Collection: Band and Pipers at Gordon Boys Orphanage, Dover, Kent

Band and Pipers at Gordon Boys Orphanage, Dover, Kent
The Scottish-style pipe band at the Gordon Boys Orphanage, Dover. The boys pose with their instruments. The home was founded by local philanthropist Thomas Blackman

Background imageRenamed Collection: SAID BIN TAIMUR Sultan of Muscat (later renamed Oman), when Regent. He was Sultan from 1932 to 1970

SAID BIN TAIMUR Sultan of Muscat (later renamed Oman), when Regent. He was Sultan from 1932 to 1970. He wanted to modernise Oman, but the imam opposed this. Date: 1910 - 1972

Background imageRenamed Collection: Advert postcard for Theatre Sarah Bernhardt. Paris

Advert postcard for Theatre Sarah Bernhardt. Paris
French advertising postcard for the Theatre Sarah Bernhardt. In 1899 the Theatre de la Ville in Paris was renamed Theatre Sarah-Bernhardt after the renowned actress Sarah Bernhardt

Background imageRenamed Collection: Royal Coburg Theatre

Royal Coburg Theatre
The theatre was founded in 1818 by James King and Daniel Dunn (formerly managers of the Surrey Theatre in Bermondsey), and John Thomas Serres, then the marine painter to the King

Background imageRenamed Collection: Horton Epileptic Colony / St Ebbas Hospital, Epsom

Horton Epileptic Colony / St Ebbas Hospital, Epsom
A view of the Horton Epileptic Colony, opened in 1903 on Hook Road, Epsom. In 1918 it became the Ewell War Hospital, then was renamed St Ebbas Hospital in 1938. Date: 1903

Background imageRenamed Collection: Columbus arrives at San Salvador

Columbus arrives at San Salvador
Christopher Columbus and his caravels arrive at Guanahani island, later renamed San Salvador by Columbus. Row boats are heading towards the islands from where the three ships are anchored. Date: 1492

Background imageRenamed Collection: BAC One-Eleven 204AF N1129J

BAC One-Eleven 204AF N1129J
BAC One-Eleven 204/AF N1129J (msn 182), of Mohawk Airlines. Date: circa 1970

Background imageRenamed Collection: Vickers 953C Merchantman G-APES

Vickers 953C Merchantman G-APES (msn 721, of British Airways Cargo. The Merchantman freighters were converted from passenger carrying Vanguards)

Background imageRenamed Collection: The South Kensington Museum, London 1857

The South Kensington Museum, London 1857
Exterior of the South Kensington Museum, London, in 1857. This museum was later rebuilt and renamed as the Victoria and Albert Museum. Date: 1857

Background imageRenamed Collection: Nimmo Special Racer N24C

Nimmo Special Racer N24C, race no 39, midget racer, also known as Argander Special (written on the engine cowling). The Special was powered by an 85hp Continental C85

Background imageRenamed Collection: Royal Air Force - Hunting Jet Provost T. 4 XP680

Royal Air Force - Hunting Jet Provost T. 4 XP680
Royal Air Force Hunting Jet Provost T.4 XP680 (msn PAC/W/18304) of The Macaws aerobatic team from the College of Air Warfare, based at Royal Air Force Manby

Background imageRenamed Collection: German Battlecruiser Goeben renamed Sultan Selim I

German Battlecruiser Goeben renamed Sultan Selim I
WW1 - Bosphorus, Istanbul, Turkey - The German Battlecruiser Goeben renamed Sultan Selim I - passing the Allied fleet for internment after capture/surrender. Date: 1916

Background imageRenamed Collection: Coxlodge Lunatic Asylum, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Coxlodge Lunatic Asylum, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
A view of Newcastles Coxlodge mental asylum opened in 1869. After 1948, it was renamed St Nicholas Hospital. Date: 1907

Background imageRenamed Collection: Barnardos Hazelbrae / Margaret Cox Home, Peterborough

Barnardos Hazelbrae / Margaret Cox Home, Peterborough
New arrivals at Barnardos Hazelbrae home for girls at Peterborough, Ontario. The home was opened in 1883 to receive girls emigrating from Barnardos homes in the UK

Background imageRenamed Collection: Occupation of Paris, 1815

Occupation of Paris, 1815 - Place Louis 15th: Paris Sept: 1815.Watercolour by Maj William Loftie, 55th (the Westmoreland) Regiment of Foot, 1815.During the Occupation of Paris

Background imageRenamed Collection: USS Tallahassee with submarines, WW1

USS Tallahassee with submarines, WW1
USS Tallahassee (BM9), formerly USS Florida but renamed in 1908, submarine tender, with four submarines alongside, during the First World War. Date: circa 1918

Background imageRenamed Collection: Boeing Stratocruiser N1024V Pan Am Singapore

Boeing Stratocruiser N1024V Pan Am Singapore
Originally named Clipper America N1024V was refitted as a Super Stratocruiser and renamed Clipper Kathay and used on the Pacific routes

Background imageRenamed Collection: Palace Hotel, Caux, Vaud, Switzerland

Palace Hotel, Caux, Vaud, Switzerland. The building now operates as a hotel school, and, renamed Mountain House, is the conference centre for the international organisation, Initiatives of Change

Background imageRenamed Collection: Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, Kent

Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, Kent
Children and staff at the Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Stone Road, Broadstairs. The home, originally known as the St Davids Home, was established in 1911 by the Waifs and Strays Society

Background imageRenamed Collection: HMS Redoubtable bombarding off coast of Flanders, WW1

HMS Redoubtable bombarding off coast of Flanders, WW1
The British battleship HMS Redoubtable (the renamed HMS Revenge) carrying out bombardment duties on German positions off the coast of Flanders during the First World War. Date: 7 September 1915

Background imageRenamed Collection: LCC-LFB Isle of Dogs fire station, East London

LCC-LFB Isle of Dogs fire station, East London
Built by the London County Council, Isle of Dogs fire station was located at 461 West Ferry Road, and was subsequently renamed Millwall fire station

Background imageRenamed Collection: Crusade of Rescue Offices, London

Crusade of Rescue Offices, London
The offices of the Crusade of Rescue (now renamed the Catholic Childrens Society), 48 Compton Street, London Date: circa 1910

Background imageRenamed Collection: South Ken Mus (V and A)

South Ken Mus (V and A)
An interior view of the South Kensington Museum, which will be renamed the Victoria and Albert in 1899 and rebuilt to reopen in 1909. Date: 1867

Background imageRenamed Collection: V and a Exterior Mono

V and a Exterior Mono
A boring photo of the recently rebuilt Victoria and Albert Museum, formerly the South Kensington Museum, renamed in 1899 as the V & A, and rebuilt to reopen in 1909. Date: 1914

Background imageRenamed Collection: Princess Louise visits Shaftesbury Homes Esher Place

Princess Louise visits Shaftesbury Homes Esher Place
After a merger with the National Society for the Protection of Young Girls (Princess Louise Home) in 1935, the Shaftesbury Homes Esher Place home was renamed Esher Place



All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping