LCC-MFB Headquarters station at Southwark SE1
The Metropolitan Fire Brigade was created in 1866, having replaced the former London Fire Engine Establishment brigade. It moved from its former Watling Street HQ to the Southwark site due to the vast expansion of the Brigade. Its first Chief Officer, Captain Eyre Massey Shaw, had this complex built as the new headquarters and No 1 fire station. It remained the Brigade Headquarters until 1937 when a new headquarters was opened in Lambeth. The gothic style frontage was demolished in the late 1960s by the Greater London Council but the fire station (now a museum) remains standing today.
© London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library
Madame Fillioux - Lyon, France - The Queen of Chickens!
Madame Fillioux (1865-?) working at her son's (D. Frechin) establishment where she appears to specialise in the sale of wine, asparagus and chickens! 73, Rue Duquesne, Lyon, France. Mere Fillioux liked to carve her fowls tableside with her own hulking kitchen cleavers. Two of these knives, the British food writer Elizabeth David would later recount, lasted her for 30 years, during which time she must have cut up some 500,000 chickens. Her delicious volaille demi-deuil (truffled hen) made her famous. Date: circa 1920s
Whitelands College, King's Road, Chelsea, London
London - King's Road, Chelsea - Whitelands College. A flagship women's college of the Church of England, it was the first college of higher education in the UK to admit women. The College moved to Southfields, near Putney, with the original Chelsea building (pictured) sold to the British Union of Fascists in the summer of 1933, becoming known as "the Black House". (see: 11095918) Date: circa 1910s
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection