NFS (London Region) ordinary fire in Islington, WW2
A fire in a shop and dwelling in Liverpool Street, Islington, North London. Despite the lull in enemy bombing, 'ordinary' fires were still commonplace and some were of a serious nature, but largely confined to the building of origin, as in this case.
© London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library
1940s, 1942, 2nd, 40s, Brigade, Building, Buildings, Burnt, Dwelling, Fire, Firefighting, Fires, Flake, Forties, Gold, Ii, Islington, Lfb, Liverpool, London, Nfs, North, Ordinary, Region, Service, Shop, Shops, St, Street, Tobacconist, War, Wartime, Wills, World, Ww2, Wwii
Policemen guarding house in Sidney Street, East London
Policemen guarding the devastated house in Sidney Street, East London, after the Sidney Street Siege (popularly known as the Battle of Stepney) in East London. The siege took place when it was discovered that a gang of Latvian anarchists responsible for the deaths of three policemen during an attempted robbery were living at 100 Sidney Street. The street was cordoned off and the two sides fired at each other for some time. The siege ended with a fire inside the house, and the deaths of two of the gang. The involvement of the Guards was authorised by the Home Secretary, Winston Churchill, and caused some controversy. The leader of the gang, Peter the Painter, also known as Peter Piaktow (or Piatkov, Pjatkov, Piaktoff), was never found, and there is confusion over his true identity.
© Mary Evans Picture Library
The Column of Constantine or Burnt Column, Istanbul
The Column of Constantine (or 'Burnt Column') is a monumental column constructed on the orders of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great in 330 AD. It commemorates the declaration of Byzantium (renamed by Constantine as Nova Roma) as the new capital city of the Roman Empire. The column is located on Yeni祲iler Caddesi in Cenberlitas, central Istanbul, along the old Divan Yolu (the 'Road to the Imperial Council') between Sultanahmet and Beyazare (known as Forum Tauri in the Roman period.). Earthquakes and a fire in 1779 destroyed the neighborhood surrounding the column, leaving it with black scorch marks and earning it the name 'Burnt Column'. The column was restored by Abdd I, who had the present masonry base added. The base was strengthened in 1779. The original platform of the column is 2.5 meters below ground. Date: circa 1910s
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection