Lindores Abbey, Newburgh, Scotland
Lindores Abbey - situated near the Tay, on the East side of the town of Newburgh, Fife, Scotland. The best preserved structures (pictured here) are the south-west gateway (through the precinct wall), various discontinuous fragments of the wall itself, and part of the east cloister range, including the still vaulted slype (passage from the cloister to the east end of the church), all built of local red sandstone. Date: circa 1900
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection
USA - Castle Clinton or Fort Clinton - Castle Garden
USA - Castle Clinton or Fort Clinton - Castle Garden - Castle Garden. Castle Clinton or Fort Clinton, once known as Castle Garden, is a circular sandstone fort now located in Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan Island, New York City, in the United States. It is perhaps best remembered as America's first immigration station (predating Ellis Island), where more than 8 million people arrived in the U.S. from 1855 to 1890. Over its active life, it has also functioned as a beer garden, exhibition hall, theater, public aquarium, and finally today as a national monument.. Part of Box 160 Modern New York, Boswell collection. Date: circa 1900
© The Boswell Collection, Bexley Heritage Trust / Mary Evans
Sandstone Meroitic stela with one of the longest known texts in meroitic language. Are recognisable the names of the Queen Amanirenas and Prince Akinidad who lived during the 1st century BC at the time of Meroe conflict with the Romans. Kushite period. From Hamadab. British Museum. London. United Kingdom.
© Thaliastock / Mary Evans