ASC Barracks, Grove Park, Lewisham
Entrance to the ASC (Army Service Corps) Barracks on Marvels Lane, Grove Park, Lewisham, south east London. Two officers and a large dog stand at the entrance. The buildings, designed by T & J Norman Dinwiddy, were erected in 1899-1902 as a workhouse for the Greenwich Union. From 1914-19 the site was used for training ASC recruits. It later became Grove Park Hospital.
© Mary Evans / Peter Higginbotham Collection
Up With The Lark
Promotional postcard for Up With The Lark adapted by Douglas Furber from Le Zebre (see The Glad Eye above); music Philip Bra-ham. First produced at the Playhouse, Cardiff, 25th July and Adelphi 25th August 1927. Touring to Hippdrome, Lewisham, 24th February 1928. The Lark is written on the plane, and tiny portraits of characters look out of the windows. Date: 1928
© The Michael Diamond Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library
Blitz in London -- Chiesmans, Lewisham High Street, WW2
Blitz in London -- a firefighter, wearing an oilskin coat, damping down the aftermath of an incendiary bomb attack on Chiesmans depository in Lewisham High Street, SE13. From 5.30pm until 6pm on 7 September 1940, 348 German bombers escorted by 617 fighters pounded London. Guided by the flames a second group attacked with more incendiary bombs two hours later, continuing into the next day. Chiesmans was hit in the first wave -- its three storey, 100 feet by 30 feet depository was severely damaged by fire.
© London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library