The Kinecar by William Heath Robinson
Double page illustration by William Heath Robinson (1872-1944) showing a well-equipped omnibus transporting passengers while they watch a film. The caption reads,'a luxurious vehicle fitted with many devices for the comfort of passengers returning home on a winter's evening, an interesting (and true) forecast for the future of travel. Robinson was a regular contributor to the Sketch, the Bystander and other ILN titles during his lifetime. His weekly drawings featuring mind-boggling contraptions and designs were immensely popular. Please note: Credit must appear as Courtesy of the estate of Mrs J.C.Robinson/Pollinger Ltd/ILN/Mary Evan"
© Courtesy of the estate of Mrs J.C.Robinson/Pollinger Ltd/ILN/Mary Evans Picture Library
Titanic and Olympic - Harland & Wolff, Belfast
Fascinating photograph taken on 6th March 1912, showing The RMS Titanic (left) and The RMS Olympic (right), the brand new ships of the White Star Line at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Ireland. The caption on the reverse of the print reads as follows:
"Olympic on right alongside floating crane and wharf after having floated out of dry dock - Titanic on left having floated into dry dock - All being done on one tide on 6th March 1912"
Titanic closely resembled her older sister Olympic. Although she enclosed more space and therefore had a larger gross register tonnage, the hull was the same length as Olympic's. One of the most noticeable differences from Olympic was that half of Titanic's forward promenade A-Deck (below the boat deck) was enclosed against outside weather.
© Mary Evans Picture Library/The Herdman Archives Collection
Bell QF-63G-1-BE Kingcobra Pinball 45-57295
(United States Air Force - )Bell QF-63G-1-BE Kingcobra 'Pinball' 45-57295, on display at Lackland Air Force Base near San Antonio in Texas, in the USAF History and Traditions Museum collection. Built as an RP-63G-1-BE Kingcobra and re-designated QF-63G-1-BE in 1948 The RP - QF-63Gs were manned live-fire targets for Bomber gunners, firing frangible bullets. From 1943, the P-63 was used as a manned live-fire target for bomber gunners,fitted with specially reinforced surfaces, against which frangible bullets (made of lead and plastic) could be fired. In August 1944, under contract No.AC29318, Bell converted five P-63As. All armament and internal armour was removed. All skinning was replaced by thicker metal sheet, the upper fuselage air-intake was replaced by a clam-shell intake and the canopy was armoured (38mm windshield and 25mm side-screens). Not less than 110 microphones were buried under the skin. A light hidden in the propeller hub flashed each time a bullet hit the aircraft and each hit was recorded on an automatic counter located on the instrument panel. Date: circa 1960
© The Peter Butt Aviation Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library