Japanese warrior woman with naginata
Japanese warrior woman with a large Naginata. A naginata is a pole weapon that was traditionally used in Japan by members of the samurai class. It consists of a wood shaft with a curved blade on the end, similar to the Chinese Guan Dao or European glaive or Russian sovnya. Usually it also had a sword-like guard (tsuba) between the blade and shaft as depicted on this card. During the Edo Period, as the naginata became less useful for men on the battlefield, and became a symbol of the social status of women of the samurai class. A functional naginata was often a traditional part of a samurai daughter's dowry. Women of the samurai class were expected to be capable of defending their homes while their husbands were away at war!
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection
Campaign cloak belonged to Duke of Wellington
Campaign cloak; 1803 (c)-1815 (c). Belonged to FM Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington. Believed to have been worn by the Duke during the Waterloo campaign, but it is not certain this was the one worn at the actual battle, as he probably had several on campaign. The cloak is formed from a single curved panel of navy worsted with violet velvet collar and facings. There is a small velvet button and green cord loop to fasten the collar in foul weather. The main closure has plain gilt buttons by R Bushby of St Martin's Lane, London. There are stitched remains of ribbon ties at the neck and residue of mud spatters, together with possible perspiration stains. Wellington gave the cloak to his lover Lady Caroline Lamb after the battle. Written diaries from the period show Lamb gave it later to Sir Anthony Carlisle and he then presented it to Grosvenor Charles Bedford on 14 May 1823. The cloak remained in the Bedford family until its sale on 14 Jul 2015. The cloak also matches both contemporary descriptions of Wellington's garb on campaign and later portraits of him at Waterloo, some with slight discrepancies. Date: circa 1815
© The National Army Museum / Mary Evans Picture Library
Arles, France - view over the ruins of Roman amphitheatre
The Arles Amphitheatre, built in 90AD, could seat 20, 000 spectators in Roman times. When the Roman Empire fell, the theatre was transformed into a fortress with the four towers added and a public square and chapels built in the centre.
© The Roseries Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library
1910s, Air, Amphitheatre, Amphitheatres, Architecture, Arena, Arenas, Arles, Circular, Columns, Curved, Empire, Fortress, France, French, Heritage, Historical, Jan16, Open, Oval, Pillars, Public, Roman, Ruin, Ruins, Seating, Stone, Theatre, Theatres, Tower, Towers