Baptist chapel in Hartlepool hit by German east coast raid - WWI
The Baptist Chapel in Hartlepool (now situated in an area called The Headland and sometimes known as Old Hartlepool), located on the corner of Baptist Street and Regent Street (with the photographer standing on Prissick Street). The chapel was built in 1852 from stone quarried in The Headland and was demolished shortly after 1914 as it was deemed beyond repair, following the attack. A new chapel was built on the site which was named the Bombardment Memorial Church to remember those members of the church who died that day killed including the Sunday school secretary and seven of the children.
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans
British gunners take a break during bombardment of Zonnebeke
Photograph: British gunners take a break during the bombardment of Zonnebeke. From an album of 76 official photographs, 1916-1917. Associated with World War One, Western Front (1914-1918). Artillery was the most destructive weapon on the Western Front. The ability to destroy enemy troop concentrations, wire, guns and fortified positions with artillery became key to any successful operation. The guns could fire shrapnel or high explosive shells, as well as poison gas. Date: 1917
© The National Army Museum / Mary Evans Picture Library
Caricature of Lord Beresford and Admiral Seymour
Caricature of Lord Charles William de la Poer Beresford (1846-1919), at this time a Royal Navy captain (later an Admiral), and Admiral Frederick Beauchamp Paget Seymour (1821-1895). The Admiral asks Beresford to ensure that looting does not take place on either side during the bombardment of Alexandria during the Anglo-Egyptian war of 1882, when he served as Captain of the gunboat HMS Condor.
© Terry Parker / Mary Evans Picture Library