Skip to main content

Antiquities Collection (#2)

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Monument to Robert Dow in St. Botolph s, Adgate

Monument to Robert Dow in St. Botolph s, Adgate
Monument to merchant taylor and philantropist Robert Dow in St. Botolph s, Adgate. Died 1612 aged 89. Depicted holding a skull

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Ruins of the Roman London Wall

Ruins of the Roman London Wall exposed by the fire of May 1792 on Ludgate Hill. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries from his

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Rectorial House, Newington Butts

Rectorial House, Newington Butts. Singular building made of oak, chestnut and cedar, with roof in 14 casts or directions forming a well in the centre

Background imageAntiquities Collection: The Gate of the Ancient Abbey of St. Saviours Bermondsey

The Gate of the Ancient Abbey of St. Saviours Bermondsey. Founded 1082 by Aylwin Child for Cluniacs from France. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Staples Inn, Holborn, 1800

Staples Inn, Holborn, 1800
Staples Inn, Holborn. Tudor building originally attached to Grays Inn, one of four Inns of Court. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: London Stone in Cannon Street, London

London Stone in Cannon Street, London
London Stone in Cannon Street, supposed to be the milestone or Milliarium of the Romans. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Mrs. Salmons Waxworks Museum, Fleet Street

Mrs. Salmons Waxworks Museum, Fleet Street
Mrs. Salmons Waxworks Museum, at the Horn Tavern, 17 Fleet Street. It had 140 wax figures and was run by Mrs. Clark from 1760 until 1812

Background imageAntiquities Collection: The Principal Gate of the Priory of St. Bartholomew

The Principal Gate of the Priory of St. Bartholomew, Smithfield. Founded as an Augustinian priory in 1123. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Sir Paul Pinders Lodge in Half Moon Alley

Sir Paul Pinders Lodge in Half Moon Alley. The facade decorated with plasterwork designs. Was the keepers lodge to the park beloning to merchant Sir Paul Pindar (1565-1650)

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Barber Surgeons Hall, Monkwell Street

Barber Surgeons Hall, Monkwell Street. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries from his J.T

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Bas-relief of a gardener on the wall of Mr. Holylands

Bas-relief of a gardener on the wall of Mr. Holylands stables, Gardiners Lane. Man in doublet and breeches holding a spade, dated 1670

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Barber Surgeons Hall, Monkwell Street, London

Barber Surgeons Hall, Monkwell Street, London
Barber Surgeons Hall, Monkwell Street, from the church yard of St. Giles, Cripplegate. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Pedlar and his dog in the window of Saint Mary-at-Lambeth

Pedlar and his dog in the window of Saint Mary-at-Lambeth
Pedlar and his dog in the stained glass window of the church at Saint Mary-at-Lambeth. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries

Background imageAntiquities Collection: The Old Fountain in Minories parish, London

The Old Fountain in Minories parish, London. A Tudor-era timber-frame inn built in 1490 Demolished in 1793. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Guild-hall Chapel, rebuilt in 1440

Guild-hall Chapel, rebuilt in 1440, part of the 12th century Guildhall in London. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries from his

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Kitchen of Leathersellers Hall, London

Kitchen of Leathersellers Hall, London. Demolished in 1799. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries from his J.T

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Tombs of Royalist Richard Penderel and poet George Chapman

Tombs of Royalist Richard Penderel and poet George Chapman
Tombs of Royalist Richard Penderel (d.1671) and poet George Chapman (1559-1634) in the churchyard of St. Giles in the Fields

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Guy, Earl of Warwick, from a basso-relievio in Warwick Lane

Guy, Earl of Warwick, from a basso-relievio in Warwick Lane. Crusader hero killed the Danish champion, the giant Colbrand, for Athelstan of England

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Sion College, at London Wall, near Cripplegate

Sion College, at London Wall, near Cripplegate. Founded by Royal Charter in 1630 as a college, guild of parochial clergy and almshouse, under the 1623 will of Thomas White

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Grave monument of Theodore I of Corsica

Grave monument of Theodore I of Corsica, Theodor Stephan Freiherr von Neuhoff, 1694-1756, in St. Ann, Westminster. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Tomb of artist William Hogarth, Chiswick churchyard

Tomb of artist William Hogarth, Chiswick churchyard, Middlesex. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries from his J.T

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Grave effigy or Lady Arabella, Countess Dowager

Grave effigy or Lady Arabella, Countess Dowager of Nottingham, in the chancel of St. Mary le Savoy. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Grave effigy of Sir Nicholas Throkmorton, St. Catherine Cree

Grave effigy of Sir Nicholas Throkmorton, St. Catherine Cree
Grave effigy of Sir Nicholas Throkmorton, 1516-1571, Chief Butler of England, in the church of St. Catherine Cree, Aldgate

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Grave effigies in St. Saviours Southwark

Grave effigies in St. Saviours Southwark. Wooden figure of a Knight Templar and monument to Old Overie, father of Mary Overie, foundress of the Priory

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Grave monument to the Elizabethan herald William Camdem

Grave monument to the Elizabethan herald William Camdem
Grave monument to the Elizabethan antiquarian and herald William Camdem, died 1623, in Poets Corner, Westminster Abbey. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Crypt of the ancient priory of Black-Nuns

Crypt of the ancient priory of Black-Nuns
Remains of the crypt part of the ancient priory of Black-Nuns, adjoining St. Helens Church, Bishopsgate Street. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: A specimen of ancient building, King Street, London

A specimen of ancient building, King Street, London
A specimen of ancient building. Old timber-frame houses situated on the west side of King Street, Westminster. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Monument of Samuel Cooper in St. Pancras in the Fields

Monument of Samuel Cooper in St. Pancras in the Fields
Monument of miniature painter Samuel Cooper (1609-1672) in St. Pancras in the Fields. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Cornelius Van Duns almshouses in Petty France

Cornelius Van Duns almshouses in Petty France
Van Duns almshouses in Petty France, with his mural monument in St. Margarets Church, Westminster. View of Elizabethen timber frame almshouse for 20 poor widows and portrait of Cornelius Van Dun

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Rosamonds Pond, St. James Park, circa 1758

Rosamonds Pond, St. James Park, circa 1758 (filled up in 1770). Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries from his J.T

Background imageAntiquities Collection: The White Hart, Bishopsgate Street

The White Hart, Bishopsgate Street. Medieval pub rebuilt in 1480 on the site of a public house dated back to 1246. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Underground vaults in Gerards Hall Inn, Cheapside, 1795

Underground vaults in Gerards Hall Inn, Cheapside, 1795
Underground vaults in Gerards Hall Inn in Basing Lane, Bread Street, Cheapside, 1795. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of Antiquaries

Background imageAntiquities Collection: The west front of the Mathematical School, Christs

The west front of the Mathematical School, Christs Hospital, 1775. Free school built by Sir Robert Clayton during the reign of King Charles II

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Grave effigy and monument to William Emerson, died 1575

Grave effigy and monument to William Emerson, died 1575
Grave effigy and monument to honest man William Emerson, died 1575, in St. Mary Overies or St. Saviours Southwark. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: The conduit near Bayswater, Paddington

The conduit near Bayswater, Paddington, built to preserve a large spring of pure water, 17th century.. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Wood Street Compter, 18th century

Wood Street Compter, 18th century
Wood Street Compter, prison owned by the Sheriffs of London, built in the mayoralty of Sir Samuel Strange in 1670. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Cleveland House by St. James Palace, London

Cleveland House by St. James Palace, London. Built by Barbara Palmer, 1st Duchess of Cleveland, mistress of King Charles II, later owned by the Duke of Bridgwater

Background imageAntiquities Collection: The Savoy Hospital in 1650 and in ruins in 1792

The Savoy Hospital in 1650 and in ruins in 1792
The Savoy Hospital in 1650 from a print by Wenceslaus Hollar and in ruins in 1792. On the site of the Savoy Palace built by Peter, Count of Savoy, in the 13th century

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Savoy Prison, part of the ancient Palace of the Savoy

Savoy Prison, part of the ancient Palace of the Savoy, used as a military prison in the 18th century. Copperplate engraving by John Thomas Smith after original drawings by members of the Society of

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Grave effigy of Alicia Steward in St. Mary le Savoy

Grave effigy of Alicia Steward in St. Mary le Savoy
Grave effigy of Alicia, daughter of Simon Steward, with the Old Vestry Door in St. Mary le Savoy. She kneels in an armorial cape holding a skull

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Grave effigy of Robert Scott, St. Mary, Lambeth

Grave effigy of Robert Scott, St. Mary, Lambeth
Grave effigy of Robert Scott, army officer in the Swedish and Danish services and military inventor, died 1631, St. Mary Lambeth

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Monument to John Stowe, Historian and Antiquarian, 1525-1605

Monument to John Stowe, Historian and Antiquarian, 1525-1605
John Stowe, Historian and Antiquarian, 1525-1605, from his monument in the Church of St. Andrew Undershaft. Depicted in an Elizabethan ruff holding a quill pen

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Albino African man and woman

Albino African man and woman with axe, bow and arrows. White Negroes. Handcoloured copperplate engraving from William Smellies translation of Count Georges Buffons History of the Earth

Background imageAntiquities Collection: English tourist in a bird basket in a gannet hunt

English tourist in a bird basket in a gannet hunt
English tourist riding in a bird basket in a gannet or guga hunt on the isle of St. Kilda, Outer Hebrides, Scotland. Doctor Factobends recantation in the bird basket, St. Kildd

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Monument of Sir Richard Vernon and wife

Monument of Sir Richard Vernon and wife
Supposed monument of Sir Richard Vernon (c.1390-1451), English landowner, MP and Speaker of the House of Commons, and his wife, Benedicta de Ludlow, in St Bartholomews Church, Tong, Shropshire. 1864

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Dr Schliemanns Trojan antiquities on view, London 1877

Dr Schliemanns Trojan antiquities on view, London 1877
The antiquities found at Hissarlik (Hisarlik, modern Turkey), on the plains of Troy, by Heinrich Schliemann during his remarkable excavations

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Etruscan vase, British Museum, London

Etruscan vase, British Museum, London
Etruscan vase on display at the British Museum, London. Date: BCE

Background imageAntiquities Collection: Suit of horsemans armour, circa 1600

Suit of horsemans armour, circa 1600
Suit of horsemans armour from the era of King Henry VIII or Elizabeth I, from the Tower of London. Copperplate engraving from Francis Groses Military Antiquities respecting a History of the English



All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping