Plaque to Captain J J Crowe VC, Nieuwkerke Hospice
The final German attempt to break through to the Channel ports, known as the Fourth Battle of Ypres, had initial success, and on 13 April 1918 the 2nd Worcesters were pushed back to the small village of Nieuwkerke, where they made a stand in the area of the Mairie. That evening the Germans entered the village and poured machine gun fire onto the defenders. Captain Crowe, the adjutant, realising that their position was becoming untenable, set off with a handful of volunteers to silence the guns. First they crawled and then charged, the fleeing Germans. However, further enemy re-inforcments arrived and, for silencing the guns and for allowing a controlled withdrawal of the Worcesters in later fighting, Captain Crowe was awarded the VC. Date: 2011
© Holts Battlefield Collection / Mary Evans
The Crowd, Band and Police at the F.A. Cup Final, 1923
Photograph of the crowd at Wembley Stadium before the start of the 1923 F.A. Cup Final between Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United. This was the first Cup Final held at the then brand-new Wembley Stadium, which had been built in 300 days at a cost of 750, 000. Before the match began a crowd of about 100, 000 (most without a ticket) stormed through the gates and into the stadium. This meant that there was approximately 200, 000 people in a ground designed for 127, 000. The photograph shows the scene as the Band (on right) play the National Anthem and the few mounted policemen attempt to maintain order. Prominent, on his grey horse, is Constable Storey who played a large part in removing the crowd from the pitch and allowing play to start, 40 minutes late"
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans