HMS 'Implacable', 1920
Photograph of HMS 'Implacable', formerly the 'Duguay-Trouin', 1920. This ship was built in France in 1789, served at Trafalgar, and was captured by the Royal Navy shortly thereafter. After forty years active service, she became a boys training-ship at Devonport. In 1920 she was owned by Mr. G. Wheatly Cobb, who was hoping to use her as a training-ship for Sea Scouts, but the repair costs for this aged vessel were building up.
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans
Tending Oyster Beds
American oystermen of New Jersey 'plant' millions of young, unmarketable oysters at the end of the season, in April, to be 'harvested' later in the year.
© Mary Evans Picture Library
1789, American, April, Beds, End, Fishing, Historical, History, Jersey, Life, Marine, Millions, New, Oyster, Oystermen, Oysters, Season, Shell Fish, Tending, Unmarketable, Year, Young
Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Watson
Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Watson. One of a set of six unsigned oil paintings on canvas attributed to Giuseppe Chiesa (d 1789), 1769-1771 (c). Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Watson with (from left) grenadiers of the 13th, 11th, 67th, and 3rd Regiments of Foot, their officers, and soldiers of 25th Regiment of Foot, 1769 (c). Robert Watson was lieutenant-colonel of the regiment from 1763 until 1773. Among the guard he is inspecting is a grenadier of the 3rd Regiment of Foot (or the Buffs) [fourth from left] who wears an embroidered cloth grenadier cap even though these were obsolete from 1768. It demonstrates that uniforms could have a ?wearing out? time or that new patterns might be slow to arrive at overseas garrisons. The 25th Regiment of Foot was stationed in Menorca from 6 Jun 1769 until 1775, one of several regiments garrisoned there to maintain British control of this important Mediterranean base, regained from Spain at the end of the Seven Years War in 1763. This series of paintings depicting the 25th Regiment of Foot during its service in Menorca originally belonged to Lord George Lennox, (1737-1805), who was colonel of the regiment 1762-1805. Date: circa 1860
© The National Army Museum / Mary Evans Picture Library