H.M.S Caledonia formerly Majestic 1937
The former Cunard White Star Liner Majestic, changed to H.M.S Caledonia, was bought in 1937 by the Admiralty and was converted at a cost of 391, 333 into a training-ship for artificers boys who became seamen or naval engineers. Three of the funnels were shorten and her mast reduced to a stump to enable her to pass under the Forth Railway Bridge. Captain Atwell Lake was appointed to command the ship, which was stationed in the basin at Rosyth. Photograph shown here, on 8 April 1937, H.M.S Caledonia, departing Southampton on her way to Rosyth to become a Naval training establisment.
8th April 1937
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans