Royal Victoria Hospital Farm Colony, Polton, Scotland
Patients plough the land and plant seed potatoes at the Farm Colony (founded in 1910) at The Royal Victoria Hospital, founded in 1894. Together with the Dispensary these formed the nucleus of the 'Edinburgh Scheme' for combating tuberculosis. In 1914, the Dispensary, Hospital and Farm Colony were given to the City of Edinburgh and the Royal Victoria Tuberculosis Trust was founded. These came under the management of the Royal Victoria and Associated Hospitals NHS Trust in 1948, and the North Lothian District of Lothian Health Board in 1974. Date: circa 1910
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection
Sealyham House, Pembrokeshire, South Wales
View of Sealyham House or Mansion, a Georgian style country house near Little Newcastle, Pembrokeshire, Dyfed, South Wales. It served as a TB sanatorium from 1923 to 1966, and is now a children's activity centre. It was once the home of the Edwardes family -- the Sealyham Terrier was developed here in the 19th century by Captain John Owen Tucker-Edwardes as a rough-haired terrier for use in vermin control.
© Mary Evans / Roger Worsley Archive
Consumption cases, NIPRCC East Harling, Norfolk
Consumption (tuberculosis) cases lying out on a balcony at the East Harling, Norfolk, branch of the National Institutions for Persons Requiring Care and Control, an organisation privately run by the Rev Harold Burden to house 'feeble minded' children. The site, at Kenninghall, was originally the Guiltcross Union workhouse. In 1904 it had become the Eastern Counties Inebriates Reformatory, also run by Burden.
© Mary Evans / Peter Higginbotham Collection