Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Recuperation Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 39 pictures in our Recuperation collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Belgian Patients & VAD Staff, C Ward, Quex Park Featured Print

Belgian Patients & VAD Staff, C Ward, Quex Park

Belgian Patients & VAD Staff, C Ward, Quex Park.This ward was situated in the second of the two Museum galleries, built in the early 1900s and unfinished in 1914. There were fifteen beds in this ward. The three VADs are members of the Westgate Detachment Kent/64 which worked at the hospital until 10 November 1914. The one on the left is wearing an armband of the Order of St John. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum. Date: 1914

© The Powell-Cotton Museum Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library

Patients in the Mess Room, Quex Park Featured Print

Patients in the Mess Room, Quex Park

Belgian Patients in the Mess Room, Quex Park. The Mess Room was situated in the Winter Garden, a large conservatory situated between Quex House and the Museum buildings. The man serving food on the left may be Camille Van Dyck, a Belgian soldier who remained at Quex for the duration of the war and worked as a hospital orderly. He had suffered the loss of his speech through shock and his home was in occupied Belgium. The man just behind his left shoulder is Oscar Van Audenhove, the Belgian patients who painted the background to a diorama in the B Ward Gallery. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum. Date: 1915

© The Powell-Cotton Museum Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library

The Kitchener Hospital, Brighton, Sussex - WWI era Featured Print

The Kitchener Hospital, Brighton, Sussex - WWI era

The Kitchener Hospital, Brighton, Sussex - WWI. Initially opened as Brighton Union workhouse on Race Hill, at Elm Grove in Brighton, Sussex, which opened in 1867. From 1915 to 1920 it was the Kitchener Indian Hospital and later became Brighton General Hospital. In 1915 the hospital changed from serving Indian servicemen to general British casualties of WWI, especially amputees. As pictured in this photograph, those being treated wore a blue uniform (lined in white) with a red tie, known as "Hospital Blues. Date: circa 1915

© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection