Smallpox and Vaccination Hospital, Highgate, London
The Highgate Smallpox and Vaccination Hospital, designed by Samuel Daukes, opened in 1850. In around 1896, after a new smallpox hospital opened at South Mimms, the Highgate site in North London was acquired by Islington for a new workhouse infirmary, with the old hospital being converted to a nurses' home. The site later became the St Mary's wing of Whittington Hospital.
© Mary Evans / Peter Higginbotham Collection
Christening of George, son of the Princess Royal
HRH Princess Mary, Princess Royal (1897-1965) Lord Lascelles (1882-1947), 6th Earl of Harewood and their son George Henry Hubert Lascelles, (future 7th Earl of Harewood;1923-2011) on the occasion of his Christening. The christening took place on 25th March 1923 at St Mary's Church in the village of Goldsborough, near Knaresborough adjoining the family home Goldsborough Hall. Also featured in this group are: King George V (1865-1936), Colonel Lane Fox, Vicountess Boyne, Lady Harewood, the Archbishop of York, Prince George, Lady Mary Trefusis, Hon. E. Lascelles and Queen Mary (holding George Henry Hubert). Date: 1923
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection
Saint Marys Almshouses - Chichester, Sussex
Saint Marys Almshouses - Chichester, Sussex, St Mary's Hospital in St Martin's Square, Chichester is one of the oldest almshouses in the country and it is still in use today, providing housing for many elderly folk. The almshouses consist of a long, low, two storey building with a tiled gabled roof. The building is made up of painted brick and features an original stone doorway.
© The Roseries Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library