D-Day - Supplies pour ashore
A stunning panorama photograph of a French invasion beach with the channel waters thick with US military shipping, as reinforcements and supplies are funneled ashore following the conquest of the Cherbourg peninsula. Barrage balloons protect the ships from enemy strafing. One balloon still rests on the deck of large landing vehicle. Trucks filled with supplies and troops head inland across the beach. D-Day began on June 6th, 1944 at 6:30am and was conducted in two assault phases - the air assault landing of allied troops followed by an amphibious assault by infantry. The Normandy landings were the largest single-day amphibious actions ever undertaken, involving close to 400, 000 military and naval personnel"
© Robert Hunt Library/Mary Evans
British Sentry keeping watch on Nijmegen Bridge; Second Worl
Photograph showing aan Irish Guardsman keeping watch on the Bridge at Nijmegen, September 1944. On 17th September 1944 Operation 'Market Garden' was put into action; a bold plan devised by Field-Marshal Montgomery to drop thousands of airborne troops into Holland to capture an invasion route into Germany. The British First Airborne, American 81st and 101st Divisions took part in the plan, which was ultimately unsuccessful. This photographed was staged (for the Illustrated London News) and the soldier is James Lawler of the 1st Battalion Irish Guards. The sentry box was previously manned by Germans and a picture of the Fuhrer can be seen, still pinned to the side of the wooden position. Apparently the ILN correspondent had to be encouraged to make the high ascent to the box by ladder as he was scared of heights!!
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans
Major John Howard DSO
Major John Howard DSO,1912-1999, who led a glider-borne assault on two bridges between Benouville and Ranville in Normandy, France, codenamed Operation Deadstick, on 6 June 1944 as part of the D-Day landings during the Second World War. These bridges spanned the Caen Canal and the adjacent River Orne (about 500 yards to the east), and were vitally important to the success of the D-Day landings. Since the war the bridge over the canal has become known as 'Pegasus Bridge', as a tribute to the men who captured it. The original Pegasus Bridge is in the background of the picture. It has now been replaced. First published Saga Magazine 1992 Date: 1992
© Philip Dunn / Mary Evans Picture Library