Skip to main content

Headquarters Collection

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Military Badge

Military Badge
Ulster impressions.Photolithograph after Joan Wanklyn, 1976.Published by Headquarters Northern Ireland, 1976.Shows 18 vignettes of the British Army on operations in Northern Ireland

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LFDCA-LFB Lambeth HQ and Lambeth river station

LFDCA-LFB Lambeth HQ and Lambeth river station
A modernised Lambeth river fire station and the new fireboat London Phoenix, seen here from the north bank of the River Thames

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Culpeper House London

Culpeper House London
Culpeper House, 21 Bruton Street, London, a picturesque Georgian house and shop front, headquarters of the Society of Herbalists, named after Nicholas Culpeper (1616-1654) Date: 1960s

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB Recruit fireman training at Brigade HQ, SE1

LCC-LFB Recruit fireman training at Brigade HQ, SE1
During the 1950s recruit firefighters were trained at the Brigade Headquarters, Lambeth. Here a fireman is undertaking a hook ladder drill on the stations nine-storey drill tower

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: London Fire Engine Establishment, list of fire stations

London Fire Engine Establishment, list of fire stations
Formed in 1833, the LFEE took over firefighting in London from the various Insurance Company fire brigades. It had 19 fire stations and its headquarters was located at Watling Street, City of London

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Bedford Heavy Unit in the NFS (London Region)

Bedford Heavy Unit in the NFS (London Region)
About 1000 of the pumps were built on a Bedford chassis and most were capable of pumping water at 700 gallons per minute. Here a heavy unit and crew are undertaking hose drills at Lambeth

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LFB horse drawn steamer at modern LFB review

LFB horse drawn steamer at modern LFB review
Lambeth, headquarters of the London Fire Brigade, hosted annual displays and regular reviews of the Brigade. A popular feature was the inclusion of the working Victorian Shand Mason horse drawn steam

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Firefighters on parade in front of their appliance

Firefighters on parade in front of their appliance during a visit by Queen Elizabeth II to the Headquarters of the London Fire Brigade, Lambeth

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB Fire display at Brigade HQ Southwark

LCC-LFB Fire display at Brigade HQ Southwark
The London Fire Brigade encouraged, for very many years, a good public image by opening its doors to the public to special fire brigade displays

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB Recruit firefighters training at Brigade HQ SE1

LCC-LFB Recruit firefighters training at Brigade HQ SE1
During the 1950s recruit firefighters were trained at the Brigade Headquarters in Lambeth. Here they are undertaking hook ladder drills on the stations nine-storey drill tower

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB Dennis motorised fire pump and crew

LCC-LFB Dennis motorised fire pump and crew
The introduction of the Dennis fire appliances would see the creation of dual-purpose fire engines capable of carrying either the 50 foot wheeled escape or, as here, adapted as a pump

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-MFB, HQ station, Southwark SE1

LCC-MFB, HQ station, Southwark SE1
The new headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) opened in 1878 under its Chief Officer Captain Eyre Massey Shaw

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: NFS 60ft hand-operated turntable ladder, WW2

NFS 60ft hand-operated turntable ladder, WW2
An Austin K4-Merryweather 60 foot hand-operated turntable ladder (TL). A total of 50 such appliances were built and mounted on Austin K4 chassis for the Home Office between 1942 and 1943

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: GLC-LFB - Croydon vehicle workshops

GLC-LFB - Croydon vehicle workshops
The GLC-LFB was created on 1 April 1965. A series of photos was commissioned of each location, either within or absorbed into the enlarged London Fire Brigade

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB Leyland Metz 100 foot turntable ladder

LCC-LFB Leyland Metz 100 foot turntable ladder
Lambeths (D61) turntable ladder at its base station, displayed in the Brigade headquarters drill yard. The hose line, when the TL is used as a water tower

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB Lambeth fire station with appliances

LCC-LFB Lambeth fire station with appliances
Lambeth fire station (Brigade Headquarters) with pump-escape, pump and 100 foot turntable ladder. The station had three other appliances: an emergency tender, breakdown lorry and canteen van

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB AFS Green Goddess pump, Lambeth HQ

LCC-LFB AFS Green Goddess pump, Lambeth HQ
A typical AFS (government design) Green Goddess pump, at drill in the yard of Brigade Headquarters station, Lambeth. Created prior to the outbreak of WW2

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: NFS London Region control room and officers, WW2

NFS London Region control room and officers, WW2
With the Fire Service nationalised in 1941 the London Fire Brigade was combined with its surrounding Fire Brigades to form the London Region of the NFS

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB engines and crews, Whitechapel fire station

LCC-LFB engines and crews, Whitechapel fire station
Located at 27 Commercial Road, East London, Whitechapel fire station opened in 1874. It was also a superintendent station (district headquarters) and was known as Station No 27

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LFB wartime emergency appliance and trailer pump, WW2

LFB wartime emergency appliance and trailer pump, WW2
A Fordson Unit and trailer pump at the London Fire Brigade headquarters, Lambeth. These were just some of the 2000 adapted vehicles utilised as AFS fire appliances

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-MFB funeral of Fireman Martin Sprague

LCC-MFB funeral of Fireman Martin Sprague
View of the funeral procession of Fireman Martin Sprague, who was killed in a fire. Showing the start of the procession from MFB headquarters in Southwark Bridge Road to Highgate Cemetery in North

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Mass jets at the LFB annual review at Lambeth HQ

Mass jets at the LFB annual review at Lambeth HQ
London firefighters from East London demonstrating mass jets during the Annual Review display at the Brigades headquarters. Lambeth, SE1

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-MFB Headquarters station at Southwark SE1

LCC-MFB Headquarters station at Southwark SE1
The Metropolitan Fire Brigade was created in 1866, having replaced the former London Fire Engine Establishment brigade. It moved from its former Watling Street HQ to the Southwark site due to

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Champagne Michel Gonet, Epernay, Champagne, France

Champagne Michel Gonet, Epernay, Champagne, France
Villa Signolle, Champagne Michel Gonet, on the Avenue de Champagne in Epernay, Champagne, Marne, Grand Est, France. The Avenue de Champagne is a 1km long street lined with mansions owned by champagne

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Easter Rising / Liberty Hq

Easter Rising / Liberty Hq
Liberty Hall, Dublin, the rebel headquarters after the storming. Date: May 1916

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: WW1 poster, 20th London Regiment

WW1 poster, 20th London Regiment
WW1 recruitment poster, 20th London Regiment (HQ Holly Hedge House, Blackheath), Praise for Territorials. Join your own local battalion at once. Date: 1914-1918

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Nato Headquarters, Izmir, Turkey

Nato Headquarters, Izmir, Turkey - now the Allied Air Component Command Headquarters Date: 1957

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB horse drawn 75ft turntable ladder (TL)

LCC-LFB horse drawn 75ft turntable ladder (TL)
Shand Mason (Blackfriars) supplied the London Fire Brigade with this hand operated 75 foot turntable ladder on a four wheel horse drawn carriage

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Queen Elizabeth reviews female LFB dispatch rider, WW2

Queen Elizabeth reviews female LFB dispatch rider, WW2
Visit to LFB by Queen Elizabeth and Princess Elizabeth. Queen Elizabeth reviews a female dispatch rider at the Lambeth Headquarters of the London Fire Brigade

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Recruitment Poster - British Military

Recruitment Poster - British Military
THE MIDDLESEX REGIMENT, 57TH Regimental District - Headquarters, HOUNSLOW, 1900. Chromolithograph poster, printed by Gale and Polden Limited, 1900

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: St Johns Gate Clerkenwell

St Johns Gate Clerkenwell
St Johns Gate, in Clerkenwell, Middlesex, now within central London, is one of the few tangible remains from Clerkenwells monastic past

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Copper Miners Strike - Calumet, Michigan, USA

Copper Miners Strike - Calumet, Michigan, USA. Industrial action by Copper Miners of the Western Federation of Miners. Workers were concerned of being displaced to a lower-paying job or of losing

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Queen Elizabeth II opening the new LFB Headquarters

Queen Elizabeth II opening the new LFB Headquarters
Queen Elizabeth II with Commissioner Ronald James Dobson at the opening of the new London Fire Brigade Headquarters at 169 Union Street, London SE1

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: GLC-LFB Eastern Command Control Unit

GLC-LFB Eastern Command Control Unit
The GLC-LFB was created on 1 April 1965. A series of photos was commissioned of each type of fire engine, either within or absorbed into the enlarged London Fire Brigade

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: GLC-LFB - Ford Cortina staff car at Lambeth HQ

GLC-LFB - Ford Cortina staff car at Lambeth HQ
The GLC-LFB was created on 1st April 1965. A series of pictures was commissioned, photographing each type of fire engine and other vehicle either within or absorbed into the enlarged London Fire

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: GLC-LFB Centenary Royal Review at Lambeth HQ

GLC-LFB Centenary Royal Review at Lambeth HQ
To celebrate the 100 years of the London Fire Brigade, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip reviewed the London Fire Brigade at Lambeth headquarters

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: The London Salvage Corps HQ, 40-42 Watling Street

The London Salvage Corps HQ, 40-42 Watling Street
Built in 1907 and located in the City of London, the headquarters station of the London Salvage Corps until it moved to its new premises in 1960

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: NFS (London Region) mobile kitchen vehicle

NFS (London Region) mobile kitchen vehicle
Donated to the London Region of the NFS by the Canadian Red Cross, the mobile kitchen unit displayed at the Regional (Brigade) Headquarters, Lambeth, SE1 is seen here with its side canopies extended

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Finsbury Rifles recruiting HQ, North London, WW1

Finsbury Rifles recruiting HQ, North London, WW1
Finsbury Rifles recruiting headquarters and drill hall, 17 Penton Street, Islington, North London, around the start of the First World War. Date: circa 1914

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: Members of the Canadian Fire Service join the NFS, WW2

Members of the Canadian Fire Service join the NFS, WW2
Detachments from the Canadian Fire Service arrive in the UK to supplement National Fire Service numbers. Groups were allocated to the various Fire Regions

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: HMS Warrior R31

HMS Warrior R31
Royal Navy - HMS Warrior R31, a Colossus-class light aircraft carrier, in March 1946. (Warrior was loaned to the Royal Canadian Navy from 1946 to 1948 as HMCS Warrior)

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: London Fire Brigades organisation and equipment

London Fire Brigades organisation and equipment
A selection of small drawings of the events that take place in 1937, when a call by a pedestrian seeing flames and smoke to the very end when the fire has been put out

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB Dual purpose appliances (pump escape)

LCC-LFB Dual purpose appliances (pump escape)
Introduced into the London Fire Brigade in 1934, dual purpose appliances meant that the ladders the fire engines carried were interchangeable

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: GLC-LFB - Turntable Ladder at Brigade HQ

GLC-LFB - Turntable Ladder at Brigade HQ
The GLC-LFB was created on 1 April 1965. A series of photos was commissioned of each type of fire engine, either within or absorbed into the enlarged London Fire Brigade

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB Recruit firemen training at Brigade HQ, SE1

LCC-LFB Recruit firemen training at Brigade HQ, SE1
During the 1950s recruit firefighters were trained at the Brigade Headquarters, Lambeth. Here the recruit squad are rescuing by carrying down on the 50 foot wheeled escape ladder pitched to the third

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LFB Dennis dual-purpose pump, Lambeth HQ

LFB Dennis dual-purpose pump, Lambeth HQ
Lambeths (D61) pump at its base station, on display in Brigade headquarters drill yard. Side mounted pump outlets together with hose-reel tubing and two hook ladders can be seen

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB vehicle repair workshops, Lambeth HQ

LCC-LFB vehicle repair workshops, Lambeth HQ
The London Fire Brigade vehicle repair and maintenance workshops located within the extensive headquarters complex in Lambeth, SE1

Background imageHeadquarters Collection: LCC-LFB major control unit at Lambeth HQ

LCC-LFB major control unit at Lambeth HQ
Major control unit, based at Brigade Headquarters, Lambeth, with dedicated operational control unit staff. The unit attended all major fires and incidents



All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping