sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
 

Exclusive Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 52 pictures in our Exclusive collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Featured Print

Hindu Gymkhana, Karachi, British India

Hindu Gymkhana, Sarwar Shaheed Road, Karachi, Sindh, British India (now in Pakistan), built in Mughal-Revival style. It was originally a club for the Hindu upper classes, with funding from a local businessman, Seth Ramgopal Gourdhanandh Mohatta, among others, but now houses the National Academy of Performing Arts. Date: circa 1930

© Mary Evans / Pharcide

Featured Print

A Sectional Drawing of The Empress Club, 13 Berkeley Street

A Sectional Drawing through the extensive premises of The Empress Club, sitting between Dover Street and 13 Berkeley Street, W1, London. One of the very first 'Ladies' Clubs, The Empress Club was founded in 1897. The palaial building covered upwards of a quarter of an acre and was palatial in scope, boasting two drawing room -offering a choice between the Louis Quinze or the Venetian style, a dining room, a lounge, a smoking gallery and a smoking room, a library, a writing room, a tape machine for news, a telephone, and a staircase decorated with stained glass windows depicting Shakespeares heroines. On the night of the 1901 census Otho Oliver, the owner and club secretary, was living on the premises, together with a female manager and a large domestic staff, comprising around 40 female and 12 male servants (including an engineer). There were around 30 women guests staying at the club, as well as several family groups, including husbands. At one time the Empress had 70 bedrooms available to its 2700 members. Date: 1904

© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans

Featured Print

New mansions in Park Lane, 1903

New mansions built in Park Lane in 1903, one of the most prestigious addresses in London. On the left is the home of Mr R. W. Hudson and on the right, that of Sir Edward Albert Sassoon. Sir Edward's house was built in 1895-6 by T. H.Smith and C. E. Sayer for Barney Barnato a South African. The house was 13, 000 square feet, had a four-storey-high marble staircase, a conservatory a winter garden and a ballroom. Later renumbered as 4 Park Lane, it became in the 1960s the home of the Playboy Club. It stood just across the street from the mock medieval mansion built for R.W. Hudson, the soap manufacturer, on the site of a dignified Queen Anne house which had belonged to the Earls of Lanesborough. Hudson's astonishing edifice, all stone curlicues and leaded Gothic windows, is the sole survivor today of Park Lane's era of plutocratic fantasy. Today it is a Barclay's Bank. Date: 1903

© Mary Evans Picture Library