Skip to main content
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Enlarged Gallery

Available as Framed Photos, Canvas Prints, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 39 pictures in our Enlarged collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Photos, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.

Three men standing by wooden escape ladder at Quex Featured Print

Three men standing by wooden escape ladder at Quex

Three men are standing by an extendable wooden ladder. Two of the men are wearing the patients uniform of hospital blues but the trousers only. The uniform of jacket and trousers was made of blue serge. The man in the centre is in civilian clothes and may have been employed at Quex Park. The ladder was a fire escape ladder, capable of extending to the top floor of the house. Major Powell-Cotton was very concerned about the risk of fire to the house and his collections. He had enlarged the garden pond to act as a water reservoir and installed piping in the house to feed hose reels on each floor of the house. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum. Date: 1915

© The Powell-Cotton Museum Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library

Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, Kent Featured Print

Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, Kent

Children and staff at the Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Stone Road, Broadstairs. The home, originally known as the St David's Home, was established in 1911 by the Waifs and Strays Society. It was substantially enlarged as a result of a legacy from the Rev. Thomas Turner and renamed in his honour in 1916. Date: Circa 1921

© Mary Evans/Peter Higginbotham Collection

The Great Wool-floor at the London Docks Featured Print

The Great Wool-floor at the London Docks

The great wool-floor at the London Docks. The London Dock Company enlarged the warehouse for receiving wool imports from the colonies in the 1840's, providing considerable space for storing and viewing. The ILN estimated wool importation to be 130, 000 bales annually in 1850, with a value of 2.6 million. Each bale was inspected by drawing out a portion of wool, which was dropped on the floor after examination so that ...the parties inspecting it frequently walk knee-deep in loose wool."

© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans