Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Demolition Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 93 pictures in our Demolition collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Blowing up old radar station, Beachy Head, Sussex Featured Print

Blowing up old radar station, Beachy Head, Sussex

Blowing up an old radar station at Beachy Head, near Eastbourne, Sussex. In 1950 an underground Air Ministry Radio Station was constructed on the cliff top at Beachy Head. It was in fact part of a top secret Early Warning (CEW) system which remained part of Britains defence capabilities until it closed a decade later. One Sunday in late September 1963, members of the demolition team of the 21st SAS Territorial Regiment started to clear the surface buildings. The buildings proved to be stronger than first expected, so the team packed in more explosives and tried again. Demolition had to be abandoned until the next day, when the manager of a nearby hotel complained that his windows had cracked. The task of clearing the remaining buildings was then taken over by a local demolition company. At a later stage the stairwell access behind the guardhouse was demolished and capped, along with the emergency exit, humid air exit and cable shaft. The only way into the bunker was via a small manhole set into the concrete slab placed over the stairwell. Access remained available to the bunker for a while, but due to vandalism the entrance was finally sealed with a large tree trunk thrust into the hole by a JCB and back filled with chalk. Today tourists can stand on the mound above the bunker unaware of the secret rooms and tunnels beneath their feet. Date: 1963

© Mary Evans Picture Library/DAVID LEWIS HODGSON

North Melbourne Town Hall Featured Print

North Melbourne Town Hall

Slide showing a black and white photograph of the Town Hall in the city of Melbourne in Australia. The foundation stone of the Town Hall was laid on 29 November 1867 by the visiting Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, after the demolition of the first Town Hall. The current Town Hall officially opened on 9 August 1870. Part of Box 100. Boswell Collection. Slide number 36. Date: circa 1890

© The Boswell Collection, Bexley Heritage Trust / Mary Evans

Paris, France - Arcade Colbert Featured Print

Paris, France - Arcade Colbert

Paris, France - Arcade Colbert. It disappears ender the pile of demolition. L'Illustration Journal Univerl owe it a memory, even a regret; this is nearby and besides, the ark which extended the Bibliotheque Imperiale equally offers its interest; it's a part of the history of Paris. The Rue Colbert was called Rue Mazarin. When the cardinal's personal library was relocated at the College des Quatre-Nations to which was bequeathed a part of the Palais Mazarin where it was remained empty. The Duke of Nevers, inheritor of the Cardinal Mazarin, did not use it and gave it to the Marquise de Lambert. Later she decided to build a hotel in which she spent a hundred thousand francs. She decided to put an arcade to the Colbert Street and above it her appartments which gathered the elegant society of the XVIIth century. It was considered as an important place, so influential that you had to be part of it. When the King wanted to move his medal cabinet to the Bibliotheque, it was thought that it would be the Marquise's habitation. But respecting her age and her influence, the project was suspended. When she died, the hotel was took over to a rich cabinet, considered as one of the most beautiful "salons" of the XVIIIth century, decorated with paintings of Boucher, Vanloo and Natoire. In 1741, the King's medals collection took place in this splendid gallery. On the night of February 16 to 17 of 1804, a hackney coachman stopped just under the arcade. The carriage carried a long pole used to mount the scaffold. A man jumped and climbed in the arch, entered the cabinet and took a part of the King's collection. From this robbery, the history of the arch is already written. Sixteen years after, on February 13th of 1820, its name linked to a crime. Indeed, Louvel was arrested after hitting the Dutch of Berry, near Porte de l'Opera. A street urchin boy who saw the scene grabbed the murderer under the arcade. Thus, time passed and the arcade was unfortunately not famous for it

© Mary Evans Picture Library