Skip to main content

Demolished Collection

Background imageDemolished Collection: London / City Gates

London / City Gates
Ten of the City gates before demolition: Bishopshate; Cripplegate; Ludgate; Newgate; Moorgate; Aldgate; Bridgegate; Aldersgate; Whitehallgate; Templebar

Background imageDemolished Collection: Imperial Hotel, Tokyo

Imperial Hotel, Tokyo
The IMPERIAL HOTEL, TOKYO : designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, built 1915-1922, survived 1923 earthquake, demolished 1967

Background imageDemolished Collection: Birmingham Bull Ring

Birmingham Bull Ring
The old Bull Ring Centre, a notorious symbol of post World War Two modernism, now demolished. Completed in 1964; Britains first multi-storey fully enclosed shopping centre

Background imageDemolished Collection: Mint Street Workhouse, Southwark, south London

Mint Street Workhouse, Southwark, south London
View of the entrance (right of centre) to the St Saviours Union workhouse on Mint Street, Southwark, south London. Passers-by include a man carrying a small child

Background imageDemolished Collection: Scotland / Loudon Hill

Scotland / Loudon Hill
Loudon Hill and the railway viaduct, which was built in 1905, but sadly deemed to be unsafe and demolished i 1986. The hill itself was a Roman camp, Ayreshire, Scotland. Date: 1950s

Background imageDemolished Collection: Taffs Well Viaduct, near Cardiff, Glamorgan, South Wales

Taffs Well Viaduct, near Cardiff, Glamorgan, South Wales
View of Taffs Well Viaduct, also known as Walnut Tree Viaduct, near Cardiff, Glamorgan, South Wales. This was a railway viaduct crossing the canal

Background imageDemolished Collection: Greenwich Placentia

Greenwich Placentia
The palace of Placentia stood on the site of the later Naval College, but was demolished 1664 : it was the scene of many important events such as the birth of Elizabeth. Date: 16-17th centuries

Background imageDemolished Collection: Runcorn Bridge 1905

Runcorn Bridge 1905
This bridge connected Runcorn and Widnes across the river Mersey. It opened 29 May 1905, replacing the previous ferry. Known locally as " The Car" after its suspension bridge

Background imageDemolished Collection: LCC-LFB Dockhead fire station, Bermondsey

LCC-LFB Dockhead fire station, Bermondsey
Dockhead fire station, Bermondsey, SE London, built in 1928. This fire station was the location for the early seasons of the ITV series Londons Burning

Background imageDemolished Collection: OLD WEMBLEY STADIUM

OLD WEMBLEY STADIUM
The famous twin towers of Wembley Stadium, Wembley, London, England. Originally built for the British Empire Exhibition (1924), they were sadly demolished in 2002. Date: completed 1924

Background imageDemolished Collection: Moor Hall Chapel, Middlesex, 1960

Moor Hall Chapel, Middlesex, 1960
Photograph of Moor Hall Chapel, Harefield, Middlesex which was due to be demolished in 1960 and turned into a football field

Background imageDemolished Collection: Wordsworth / Old Rectory

Wordsworth / Old Rectory
WILLIAM WORDSWORTH English poets home from 1811 to 1813, The Old Rectory, which was demolished in the 1890s Date: 1770 - 1850

Background imageDemolished Collection: Kingsway Hospital, Derby

Kingsway Hospital, Derby
An aerial view of the now-demolished Kingsway Hospital, Derby. The hospital opened in 1888 as the Derby Borough Lunatic Asylum. Date: Date unknown

Background imageDemolished Collection: Quarry Hill Flats

Quarry Hill Flats, Leeds, Yorkshire, England, were modelled on the Karl Marx Hof flats in Vienna, Austria. The steel frame and concrete clad buildings were demolished 1978 Date: built late 1930s

Background imageDemolished Collection: Rounton Grange, East Rounton, Yorkshire

Rounton Grange, East Rounton, Yorkshire
Rounton Grange was designed in 1870 for Sir Isaac Lowthian Bell and his wife by the leading Arts&Crafts architect Philip Webb. Sadly demolished in 1953

Background imageDemolished Collection: Windmill, Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex

Windmill, Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex
The Windmill (known as Archers Mill) at Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, pictured here after it had ceased working. It was a post mill working two pairs of stones and was demolished in 1921. circa 1915

Background imageDemolished Collection: Lion Brewery Sign

Lion Brewery Sign
The famous lion statue on the Lion Brewery, Waterloo, London. The brewery was demolished in 1951 to make way for the Royal Festival Hall and Festival of Britain Date: 19th century

Background imageDemolished Collection: CROMWELLs ARCH

CROMWELLs ARCH
Cromwells Arch, Bovey Tracey, Devon. England, is all that remains of a monastery which stood on the site and and was finally demolished in 1822. Date: medieval

Background imageDemolished Collection: Amesbury Union workhouse, Wiltshire

Amesbury Union workhouse, Wiltshire
A distant view of Amesbury, Wiltshire, with the Union workhouse on the left, designed by William Bonython Moffatt, and built on South Mill Hill in 1837. It was demolished in 1967

Background imageDemolished Collection: Main building, Wigmore Schools, West Midlands

Main building, Wigmore Schools, West Midlands
General view of the main building of the Walsall and West Bromwich District School on Pennyhill Lane, Wigmore. The school opened in 1870 to house workhouse children from the two unions

Background imageDemolished Collection: A Fish Auction in Columbia Market

A Fish Auction in Columbia Market
In 1869 Baroness Burdett-Coutts paid for the building of the great Columbia Market (for fish) between Hackney and Bethnal Green Roads on the site of Nova Scotia Gardens

Background imageDemolished Collection: Bell and Mackerel Pub

Bell and Mackerel Pub
The Bell and Mackerel public house, Mile End Road, east London, at one time a famous museum and noted for its coaching proprietor. Sadly, demolished in about 1910

Background imageDemolished Collection: Passing Through Holloway & Caledonian Road Railway Station

Passing Through Holloway & Caledonian Road Railway Station
Express Locomotive Passing Through Holloway & Caledonian Road Railway Station, Holloway, near Caledonia Road, County of London, England. Great Northern Railway (station now demolished) Date: 1910s

Background imageDemolished Collection: Euston Arch 1910

Euston Arch 1910
Horses and carriages around the original Euston Arch which was demolished in 1963. Date: 1910

Background imageDemolished Collection: Broomfield, Clapham, London, 1904

Broomfield, Clapham, London, 1904
Photograph showing the exterior of Broomfield, Clapham, London. This house was the home of William Wilberforce during the last years of his campaign against slavery and was being demolished in 1904

Background imageDemolished Collection: London / Monmouth House

London / Monmouth House
Soho Square : the duke of Monmouths imposing town house which endured several changes of fortune before being demolished in 1773

Background imageDemolished Collection: Cranbrook Castle, Ilford

Cranbrook Castle, Ilford
Raymonds Folly (now gone). Charles Raymond (1713-88) made his fortune as a captain in the East India company. He retired to Essex, where he had a three-sided tower built in 1765

Background imageDemolished Collection: Ballamona Hospital, Isle of Man

Ballamona Hospital, Isle of Man
An aerial view Ballamona Hospital, Isle of Man, opened in 1868 as Braddan Mental Hospital. The building was demolished in 1998

Background imageDemolished Collection: Boswell Court

Boswell Court
View of Boswell Court, London. One of several courts and alleyways demolished in the 1860s to make way for the building of the Royal Courts of Justice

Background imageDemolished Collection: Serles Place

Serles Place
View of Serles Place, London, near St Clement Danes Church. The street was built in the 17th century and demolished in 1866

Background imageDemolished Collection: Old Queens Head Tavern Islington

Old Queens Head Tavern Islington
Engaving depicting the old Queens Head Tavern, Islington. It was situated at the corner of Queens Head Lane, but was demolished in 1829

Background imageDemolished Collection: English Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia

English Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia
English Palace, on the West Bank of the English pond, Peterhof, Petrodvortsovy district, St. Petersburg, Russia (now demolished). Date: circa 1909

Background imageDemolished Collection: Woodford Hall, Essex

Woodford Hall, Essex
This photograph provides a view of Woodford Hall in Essex, where William Morris lived as a child between the years 1840 and 1847

Background imageDemolished Collection: Wellington College Cricket Pavilion

Wellington College Cricket Pavilion
A photograph of the cricket pavilion at Wellington College, Berkshire, demolished and reopened in 1901, changing from lime green to pink. Date: circa 1901

Background imageDemolished Collection: Spain, Astorga. Ruins of the old castle. Engraving

Spain, Astorga. Ruins of the old castle. Engraving
Spain, province of Leon, Astorga. Ruins of the old castle, demolished in 1872. Engraving. Later colouration. Date: 2019

Background imageDemolished Collection: Drury's, Eton, demolished 1902

Drury's, Eton, demolished 1902 Date: 1901

Background imageDemolished Collection: Tatham's House, Eton

Tatham's House, Eton, demolished in 1905. Date: 1905

Background imageDemolished Collection: View of Wanstead House, the seat of the Earl of Tilney (Tylney)

View of Wanstead House, the seat of the Earl of Tilney (Tylney), engraved for Harrison's History of London in 1775. The house was designed by the Scottish architect, Colen Campbell

Background imageDemolished Collection: BRANDENBURGH HOUSE FUL

BRANDENBURGH HOUSE FUL
Brandenburgh House, Fulham, the residence of queen Caroline during her trial, and the place of her death in 1821 ; it was demolished in the following year. Date: early 19th century

Background imageDemolished Collection: Exterior of the Quest House and pawn shops in Cripplegate, London, 1903. These buildings

Exterior of the Quest House and pawn shops in Cripplegate, London, 1903. These buildings, which dated from at least 1564, were demolished in 1903. Date: 1903

Background imageDemolished Collection: Ruins of some buildings demolished in the Poultry area of London

Ruins of some buildings demolished in the Poultry area of London, to make way for a new street leading to the Thames Embankment. Date: 1869

Background imageDemolished Collection: The Old Fountain in the Minories, London, so solidly built that three horses were needed to pull

The Old Fountain in the Minories, London, so solidly built that three horses were needed to pull the timbers apart when it was demolished in 1793. Date: built circa 1480

Background imageDemolished Collection: The old Queen's Head Tavern, Islington, North London. It was situated at the corner of Queen's

The old Queen's Head Tavern, Islington, North London. It was situated at the corner of Queen's Head Lane, but was demolished in 1829

Background imageDemolished Collection: Four Swans Inn, London

Four Swans Inn, London
Four Swans Inn, in Bishopsgate street, engraved shortly before demolition. Date: 1873

Background imageDemolished Collection: The Kennington Theatre, Kennington Park Road, Kennington (formerly - The Princess of Waless Theatre)

The Kennington Theatre, Kennington Park Road, Kennington (formerly - The Princess of Waless Theatre) - damaged by German bombing in 1943 and subsequently demolished. Date: 1906

Background imageDemolished Collection: Percival Proctor III Z7197

Percival Proctor III Z7197
(ex Royal Air Force) - Percival P.34 Proctor III Z7197, outside the RAF St Athan museum hangar on East Camp (now demolished). Date: circa 1980

Background imageDemolished Collection: The Bijenkorf building, Rotterdam, Netherlands

The Bijenkorf building, Rotterdam, Netherlands
The iconic prewar Bijenkorf building in Rotterdam, Netherlands, badly damaged during the second world war, and finally demolished in 1960. Date: circa 1937

Background imageDemolished Collection: House under demolition

House under demolition
House partially demolished, showing interior layout. Date: circa 1960s



All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping