Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
 

Blues Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 56 pictures in our Blues collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Quex Park VAD patients & staff in hall of house Featured Print

Quex Park VAD patients & staff in hall of house

VAD hospital patients and staff in the hall of Quex House in March 1915. The hall was used as a recreation space for the patients. 'A' Ward of the hospital was beyond the door on the left, in the Drawing Room. A notice on the door says 'NO ONE TO ENTER WARD WITHOUT.....' (rest obscured). The patients include British soldiers (wearing the patients' uniform of 'hospital blues' - blue serge jacket & trousers, white shirt and red tie) and Belgian patients. The latter wore their uniform or civilian clothing. The Belgians include Oscar Van Audenhove, a soldier from Ghent who painted the background to one of the Museum dioramas while at Quex (he is sitting behind the table). The nurse second from the left is Mary E Holmes, who worked as the Matron of the Hospital in 1915. The nurse three from the right is Fanny Watson, a local woman who worked as a VAD nurse at Quex throughout the War. This room remains largely unchanged at Quex House today. The furniture in the photograph is still in the room, as is the mirror on the wall. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum. Major Powell-Cotton was the VAD Transport Officer for the Isle of Thanet area, responsible for organising the transport of patients from the stations to the local hospitals. Date: 1915

© The Powell-Cotton Museum Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library

Five patients on the Winter Garden steps Quex Park VAD Hospi Featured Print

Five patients on the Winter Garden steps Quex Park VAD Hospi

Five patients are standing on the steps of the Winter Garden at Quex Park. The Winter Garden was a large conservatory which stood between the drawing room of Quex House and the buildings of the Powell-Cotton Museum, linking the two. During the First World War it served as the VAD Hospital Mess. The men are all wearing the hospital patient's uniform of 'hospital blues', which was blue serge jacket and trousers, white shirt and red tie - although in this instance some are wearing another shirt. Some men have had to roll up the trousers to make them fit. At least three of the men are wearing carpet slippers. These were made for VAD Hospitals by local War Supply Depots, for the men to use indoors. By their headgear all the men may be members of Scottish regiments. Patients were allowed to retain their regimental caps while in hospital, although their regular uniforms were handed in for cleaning and repair. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum. Major Powell-Cotton was the VAD Transport Officer for the Isle of Thanet area, responsible for organising the transport of patients from the stations to the local hospitals. Date: circa 1916

© The Powell-Cotton Museum Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library

Group of Belgian and British soldiers at Quex Park Featured Print

Group of Belgian and British soldiers at Quex Park

Group of Belgian and British soldiers at Quex Park, with three members of the VAD staff. The Belgian men are wearing civilian clothes. All the British soldiers are in army uniform. Imperial hospital patients wore 'hospital blues' - blue serge jacket and trousers, together with a white shirt and red tie. This could be a gathering of patients about to leave the hospital. A vehicle is in the background, perhaps ready to transport them to the station or to the military hospital at Shorncliffe near Folkestone. The VAD nurse on the left of the photograph is Alice Cobb, a member of the Margate Cobb family. She worked as Quartermaster of the Hospital. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum. Date: 1914

© The Powell-Cotton Museum Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library