The Company of Surgeons moved from Surgeons Hall in Old Bailey to a site at 41 Lincolns Inn Fields in 1797. Construction of the first College building, to a design by George Dance the Younger, and James Lewis, took from 1805 to 1813. In 1833 Sir Charles Barry won the public competition to design a replacement. The library and portico of this building are all that remain today after a German incendiary bomb hit the College in 1941.
© Mary Evans / Peter & Dawn Cope Collection Mary Evans / Peter & Dawn Cope Collection
HORACE (HORATIO) WALPOLE FOURTH EARL OF OXFORD The Gallery at Strawberry Hill, near Twickenham, home of the English gothic novelist and man of letters
© Mary Evans Picture Library
1717, 1795, 1797, Busts, Carpet, Ceiling, Earl, English, Fourth, Gallery, Gothic, Hill, Historical, History, Home, Horace, Horatio, Letters, Man, Novelist, Ornate, Oxford, Paintings, Places, Strawberry, Twickenham, Walpole
THE LOCK STEP, or drilling for the Review
THE LOCK STEP, or drilling for the Review.Coloured etching after Capt Charles Aylmer, 11th Regiment of Foot.Published by S W Fores, London, 4 Aug 1797.Having served in the Army from 1789 to 1799, the artist draws on his experiences to poke fun at the state of many raw recruits. New recruits were intensively drilled, two or three times a day for about six months before they were considered fit for active service. Date: circa 1797
© The National Army Museum / Mary Evans Picture Library